At Share the Table, we believe that every day should be focused on making a difference in the lives of others. Continuing with the theme of making a difference this fall, we are pleased that National Make a Difference Day is this coming Saturday, October 28, 2023.
The official Make a Difference Day was created in 1992, with the goal “to inspire people from all walks of life to step up, take action, and make a positive difference in their communities.”
How can you make a positive difference in your community? There are so many opportunities, from small gestures to larger actions, but here are a few to choose from that are impactful in their own ways:
- Smile at a stranger that you meet in a store or on a walk through the neighborhood. You never know what kind of day that person has had, and your smile could make all the difference in their life.
- Volunteer your time and talents. Participate in a beach cleanup. Organize a litter pickup in your neighborhood. Take some time to go by a community garden and check on the plants or dig up the weeds.
- Make a financial donation. Whether a few dollars or much more, contributing a piece of your treasure is a significant way to make a difference in the lives of others. As your local food pantry, Share the Table is always in need of financial support for operations and for the increased costs of our new facility.
- Organize a fundraiser. Get your friends and neighbors together for a fun event that will also raise money for a worthy organization that helps others in your community.
- Speak up for others. You can make a difference in the lives of those who may not be able to speak for themselves. Spread the word about the rate of food insecurity in your area, speak to community groups about the needs of the homeless in your town, or write to your local and state officials about funding and support for those in need.
- Do the simple things, on Make a Difference Day and every day, that will truly make a difference in someone else’s life. Hold a door open at the store, mow an elderly neighbor’s yard, or send an encouraging message to a friend.
At Share the Table, we work to make a difference in our clients’ lives by sharing our food, our household items, and our love and support to those in need in our community. We appreciate all of our volunteers and financial supporters and are excited about what the future holds for us as we expand our offerings in our new facility.
Thank you for being a Hunger Hero – on Make a Difference Day and every day!